Thursday, March 31, 2011

book recommendations

i've been a little bad and haven't been reading as much as i usually do. i guess i've been a little busy but i've also been starting and not finishing a lot of books recently. so i thought i would make some recommends here of good books and hopefully you can return the favor ;)


1. Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
ok, so it's young adult fiction and like everyone has read it but for good reason! these books are completely enthralling and fun and fast reads. i seriously ripped through the whole series in a few sittings (and one was on a megabus) and then passed them along to my family that did the same. pick these up before you head to the beach this summer ;)

2. The Help by Kathryn Stockett
i've mentioned it on here before, but this book is good. it's about Jackson, Mississippi in the 1950s, it's about women, it's about civil rights. it surprises you and doesn't wrap up every storyline in a neat little bow.

3. Eating Animals by Johnathan Safran Foer
ok, ok. i know i'm a long time vegetarian so i'm totally biased. but i'm also a big fan of Foer's (go read Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (so good! need tissues!) if you want to ignore this). it's his first (and reportedly last) foray into non-fiction but its really well done, not preachy, just a well written philosophical take on the issue.

4. Persuasion by Jane Austen

i'm totally obsessed with Ms. Austen, i'm not going to lie. but Persuasion has to be one of her best and slightly overlooked novels. it is such a fun read that really rings true so many many years and cultural shifts later (some things never change). this is another one i think i sat down and then realized i was almost done the whole thing.

ok, now it's your turn. recommend away ;)

7 comments:

  1. I want to read The Hunger Games and Eating Animals sooo bad! I own Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close and it blew my mind, totally fantastic.

    I don't read half as much as I use to (university kills my drive to leisurely read). But I would recommend The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger, A Great and Terrible Beauty (it's a trilogy) by Libba Bray, and The Wreckage by Michael Crummey.

    Let me know if you read any of them, I'd love to know what you think. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am currently listening to The Help on audiobook in my car and I am loving. it. The readers who tell the story are phenomenal and I think they bring the book to a whole new level - So I concur with that pick!

    I also agree with Sarah ^^^ I am an Audrey Niffenegger fan and have read both the Time Traveler's Wife (and cried) and Her Fearful Symmetry (didn't want it to end) so I can suggest both of those.

    I don't know if you've read the Steig Larsson trilogy, but I HIGHLY recommend them too!

    I'll have to add some of yours to my list :) Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read A Time Traveler's Wife (tears) but haven't checked out Her Fearful Symmetry (add it to the this). The Larsson trilogy was my beach go to last year ;)

    Sarah - i picked up A Great and Terrible Beauty at the library today - can't wait to start!

    Sasha - we should do a book trade next week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. interesting! thanks for sharing. i love foer SO MUCH but not interested in reading his non fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Johnathan Safran Foer, and I can't wait to read this! "The Help" has been on my (ever growing!) list for a while now, too. I highly, highly reccoment "Her Fearful Symmetry"- so good! And If you haven't read it, Dave Egger's "What Is The What" is possibly one of the best things I've ever read. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh man i LOVE dave eggers and that my second fav behind A Staggering Work. Guess I gotta add this Her Fearful Symmetry to the list! thanks everyone ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. the help was good & i like the hunger games series. i've never been able to read through a whole jane austen novel. maybe need to look up the eating animals book.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...